Hotel guests and travellers impatiently await a clean hotel room and a soothing place to rest, and housekeepers are the ones who make it possible. Hospitality workers are in high demand across the UK, but to land this essential position, you’ll need a neat and tidy housekeeper CV.
Resume.io is here to help. With dozens of occupation-specific CV examples and writing guides like this one, we’re an expert resource for job seekers in all fields and stages of their careers. As a housekeeper, you’ll need to convey your knowledge and skills in a succinct and orderly application.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this writing guide and housekeeper CV example:
- What does a housekeeper do?
- How to write a housekeeper CV (tips and tricks)
- The best layout for a housekeeper CV
- Advice on each section of your CV (summary, work history, education, skills)
- Professional CV layout and design hints.
What does a housekeeper do?
Housekeepers are responsible for cleaning, tidying, organising, and restocking hotel rooms, guesthouses, and other types of accommodations. Housekeepers often work in teams in order to clean rooms in a limited amount of time. Housekeepers may start early in the morning.
Here are some of the duties of housekeepers:
- Removing and washing sheets and towels
- Making beds
- Cleaning furniture, floors, and bathrooms
- Replenishing amenities like shampoo or drinks in mini bars
- Removing trash and cleaning messes
How to write a housekeeper CV
Organisation is one of the key skills of a housekeeper, so your CV will need to follow a clear structure. Here are the sections it should contain:
- The CV header
- The CV summary (aka profile or personal statement)
- The employment history section
- The CV skills section
- The education section
Your housekeeper CV doesn’t need to be complicated. In fact, a simple structure that shows attention to detail can help you stand out from other candidates with poorly-written CVs.
One of the easiest ways to make a great first impression is by creating a CV header that contains your name and contact information. For housekeepers, we recommend a monochromatic or neutral colour scheme.
While many housekeepers work in hotels, you may also find work as a housekeeper inside of private homes or as a contractor for a cleaning service. In each of these situations, you’ll want to adapt your CV by mentioning examples of your experience that are most relevant to the type of work you’re applying for. While this may take a few extra minutes, it’s the best way to show the employer that you’re the right choice for the housekeeping job.
Choosing the best CV format for housekeepers
Housekeepers have a few choices when it comes to deciding on the best CV format. For those who have held a number of previous housekeeping positions, the reverse chronological CV format is likely the best option. This is the ‘standard format’ which focuses on an employment history section where you can list your previous job titles.
If you’re new to housekeeping or want to focus more on skills than your previous employment, you may consider an alternate CV format. Read more about the functional or hybrid models in our guide to CV formats.
CV summary example
The summary of your CV is the introduction to you as a housekeeper. Use these 3-5 free-flowing lines to speak directly to the hotel manager or hiring manager about your previous experience, skills, and work ethic. If you have any previous jobs that are particularly relevant, you can call attention to them here. The goal of the summary is to encourage the hiring manager to keep reading the rest of your CV. You can find an adaptable CV sample below.
Reliable Housekeeper with a proven track record of providing exceptional cleaning services to residential and commercial clients. Committed to using advanced cleaning technologies and products to achieve the highest level of cleanliness, while adhering to safety guidelines.
Employment history sample
The employment history section will likely be the largest on your CV, especially if you have several previous jobs to show. First, create subheadings with the job title, employer name, dates worked, and location. Then, add 4-5 bullet points that capture the responsibilities and skills you performed in the job. If you’ve never worked as a housekeeper before, then jobs with transferable skills like attention to detail, efficiency, or independent work can all help show you’d make a great housekeeper. See our employment history CV sample below.
Housekeeper at Absolute Cleaning Services, London
April 2018 - August 2022
- Maintained a high level of cleanliness of resident's homes and commercial spaces and as assigned by the Director of Housekeeping.
- Cleaned 20+ residences/facilities per week.
- Utilised cleaning chemicals safely in accordance with department guidelines.
- Kept housekeeping carts , vacuums, and supplies in good working order.
- Ensured that the personal belongings of clients remained unharmed.
- Performed deep cleaning and sanitising procedures as assigned.
- Communicated with clients and/or property managers to ensure jobs were completed in a satisfactory manner.
- Interacted with other housekeeping staff in a positive and effective manner, performing as a successful team.
Housekeeper at Private Client, London
October 2014 - March 2018
- Worked to establish a cleaning plan to address the goals of individual clients.
- Utilised the most advanced and trusted cleaning products and technologies.
- Routinely cleaned bathrooms, kitchen, dining areas, shutters, and floors.
- Performed basic and deep cleaning services as requested.
- Removed and replaced linens, bedspreads, and blankets.
- Collected and removed trash and debris from the property.
- Cleaned upholstered furniture according to the fabric instructions.
CV skills example
Skills are at the heart of your work as a housekeeper so the CV skills section is the place to call attention to your most impressive or most relevant abilities. Since this section often takes the form of a bullet point list, you’ll only have a word or two to describe each skill. Make sure to focus on the most impressive qualities that you don’t want the hiring manager to miss. Aim to keep a mix of hard (housekeeping-related) skills and soft skills, or personality traits like punctuality, a strong work ethic, or the ability to work well with others. Find our adaptable CV example below.
- Meticulous Cleaning Skills
- Deep Sanitation Practices
- Effective Time Management
- Ability to Work in a Team
- Customer Service
- Ability to Multitask
Housekeeper CV education example
The education section of your housekeeper CV needn’t be long, but it is considered essential on any CV and helps explain your background to the potential employer. Make sure to list your school, dates attended, and location. Any GSCEs completed are also relevant. The education section is also the perfect place for notable achievements, awards, certifications, and training. See our adaptable education CV example below.
A Levels- Mathematics, History, Science, Literature at Westminster City School, London
Sep 2010 - May 2014
CV layout and design
The layout and design of your housekeeper CV don’t need to be complicated, but they should make all the necessary information easy for the hotel manager to find. While it might be tempting to fill the page with every detail of your experience, keeping a good balance of white space to text will help the reader stay engaged with your CV.
For housekeepers, a simple, neutral design that calls attention to your name and contact information is enough to make you stand out from other candidates. Make sure to use consistent font styles and sizes throughout your CV. Our collection of straightforward CV templates with adaptable sample sentences can help take the guesswork out of your layout.
Key takeaways for a housekeeper CV
- Housekeepers are in demand, so now is the perfect time to prepare an effective CV.
- The reverse chronological CV format is best for candidates with traditional experience to show.
- Focus on a mix of hard and soft skills in your CV skills section.
- Get started creating a great layout with our adaptable housekeeper CV sample.