With 800 locations in the UK, Lidl is a favourite for grocery staples at cheap prices. Whether you’re a frequent shopper looking to work on the other side of things or just ready to dive into the world of retail, a great Lidl CV can help you get your foot in the door.
With dozens of CV examples and expert guides, Resume.io is a leading resource for job seekers at any stage of their careers. Here’s what we’ll cover in this writing guide and corresponding Lidl cover letter:
- What does a Lidl employee do?
- How to write a Lidl CV (tips and tricks)
- The best format for a Lidl CV
- Advice on each section of your CV (summary, work history, education, skills)
- Professional CV layout and design hints.
The first Lidl store in the UK opened in 1994 and the company now employs 23,000 people across the country.
What does a Lidl employee do?
Lidl employees are the support system that keeps each store and distribution centre running efficiently. The first Lidl store opened in the 1970s in Germany, and the company has since spread across Europe and the world, becoming a household name for budget-friendly food products and household items.
Lidl employs people to work across a variety of fields including logistics, marketing, and management, but in this guide we’ll focus on the most accessible type of Lidl position: the hourly employee or stock clerk. These associates are responsible for placing items on shelves, handling customer transactions, managing inventory and keeping the store clean and presentable.
How to write a Lidl CV
Your Lidl CV should contain many of the basic elements that keep it organised and on-topic. Here are the can’t-miss sections:
- The CV header
- The CV summary (aka profile or personal statement)
- The employment history section
- The CV skills section
- The education section
If you’ve worked in supermarkets or in retail before, then it’s important to highlight similar duties or skills you’ve picked up that will make you a great fit in the Lidl environment. Use the job description to determine the traits that are most important to the hiring manager and place them in the appropriate sections of your CV. This will also help you beat the Applicant Tracking Systems or ATS in use at most large companies, like Lidl.
If this is your first position or you have no related experience to show – don’t fret! Most Lidl managers will be used to training new employees and the skills you need to succeed can easily be learned on the job. That means that your Lidl CV is the place to highlight traits that show how you can quickly transition into the role – think being a quick learner or the ability to follow directions.
Choosing the best CV format for a Lidl job
The best CV format for a Lidl job will largely depend on whether or not you have previous experience to show. If you do, then the reverse chronological CV format will be your best bet. This format focuses on the employment history section where you can list previous jobs and showcase the duties and accomplishments completed in each. This is also the preferred CV format for hiring managers and the ATS because it makes your skills and experience very clear. This is also the format you’ll find on our adaptable Lidl CV sample.
If you don’t have previous experience to show, you may consider an alternative CV format such as the functional or hybrid models. While these formats are great for highlighting your skills, they can also make you come across as inexperienced, so proceed with caution. Check out our CV formats blog for more guidance.
CV summary example
The summary is the one place on your CV where you’ll be able to speak directly to the hiring manager and call their attention to your strengths and skills. These 3-5 sentences allow you to describe your previous experience, while adding a touch of personality. For a Lidl position, your summary needn’t be long – it should simply serve to draw the employer’s attention and encourage them to keep reading the rest of your CV.
Lidl store manager with 8+ years of industry experience. Self motivated and committed to fostering an environment of productivity and growth. Adept in exercising exceptional leadership to effectively manage operational and personnel-related challenges.
Employment history sample
The employment history section is one of the most important parts of your Lidl CV. This is where you’ll list any previous employment going back ten years (or as much as you have). Make sure to include the job title, employer name, dates worked, and location. Under each subheading, create a list of 4-5 bullet points that describe the duties completed and skills used in the job. For maximum efficacy, choose examples that most closely align with the needs of the employer, as outlined in the job description. See how this is done in our Lidl CV sample below.
Store Manager, Lidl London
Apr 2017 - May 2022
- Worked to ensure the highest level of customer service throughout the store.
- Motivated a team of 40+ employees to work to their full potential every day.
- Effectively delegated job assignments and managed the performance of all team members.
- Led essential team projects and promotional activities.
- Strived for continuous improvement of store's key performance indicators.
- Provided support for operational tasks as needed.
- Ensured a safe and productive working environment for all store employees.
Store Associate, Lidl London
Jan 2015 - Mar 2017
- Worked to consistently provide customers with the shopping experience that Lidl is known for.
- Took part in every aspect of the store’s operations, including stocking, cleaning, bakery operations and more.
- Worked the register and ensured an accurate and prompt check-out experience for customers.
- Maintained a positive attitude and an unwavering work ethic.
- Worked well independently and also with others.
CV skills example
Skills are at the heart of your Lidl CV. Of course, you’ll be able to learn new ones on the job, but any relevant abilities you already possess can place you one step closer to landing the interview. The bullet point format of the skills section means you’ll need to choose only the most pertinent skills and preferably ones mentioned in the job description to help increase your chances of passing the ATS.
Be sure to include a mix of hard skills – technical ones like register transactions or food safety practices – and soft skills, also known as personality traits. Both of these are essential for this customer service role where you’ll need to stock products and answer questions with a smile. Check out the skills section from our Lidl CV sample below.
- Customer Relations
- Effective Team Leader
- Team Player
- Time Management
- Employee Recruitment & Retention
- Knowlegde of Food
Lidl CV education example
While formal education may not be required for a Lidl position, the education section helps the hiring manager understand more about your background. Make sure to list all degrees and diplomas here, starting with the most recent and working backwards. If you hold an advanced degree, there’s no need to include your secondary education. Any awards, certificates, or courses can also be added to this section. Check out our education resume sample below for more guidance.
A-levels: Commerce, English, Mathematics, Kingsbury High School, London
Sep 2013 - Jun 2015
9 GCSEs including Mathematics and English, Westminster City School, London
Sep 2011 - Jun 2013
CV layout and design
You don’t need a degree in graphic design to land the Lidl job, but you do need an attractive CV layout and design. Paying attention to the appearance of your CV can put you miles ahead of other applicants who threw theirs together at the last minute.
For a Lidl position, your layout needn’t be complicated. Make sure to keep a balance of white space to text and create a header that highlights your name and contact information. Stick with the same professional font styles across your CV and, of course, double check for any spelling mistakes or typos before you submit.
An expertly-designed CV template can help take the stress out of the application process by allowing you to focus on the writing while eliminating formatting mistakes.
Key takeaways for a Lidl CV
- A thoughtful CV that shows your commitment to customer service and a willingness to learn can help you quickly land the interview for a Lidl position.
- Use your summary to draw attention to the key elements of your experience while adding a touch of personality.
- A reverse chronological CV structure is the best choice for candidates with previous employment history to show.
- A great page layout and eye-catching header helps your CV get the attention it deserves – check out our adaptable Lidl CV sample for more inspiration.