Data-driven decisions rule the business world. That means the skills to maintain the infrastructure to organize and make sense of that data are in high demand and Amazon Web Services is one of the most common cloud computing systems in the world.
Yes, your skills are in demand, but you still need an AWS data engineer resume that presents your career stats in a convincing way. That’s where a job search service such as Resume.io comes in. Our resume guides and resume examples for 350+ professions, plus our intuitive resume builder will help you develop a package that makes the strongest case for your employment.
Within this resume guide, along with the AWS data engineer resume sample, you will find a professionally-written resume example and information on the following topics:
- What exactly does an AWS data engineer do?
- Tips and ideas for bringing out the best of you in your AWS data engineer resume
- The best format for an AWS data engineer resume
- A breakdown of how to develop each section of your resume (summary, work history, education, skills)
- Professional resume layout and design hints.
What does an AWS data engineer do?
All data engineers manage the storage and flow of data through a chosen platform. Amazon Web Services (AWS) data engineers work specifically within the AWS cloud services environment.
Key to the job is understanding both software engineering and database management. That’s because AWS data engineers are responsible for designing, building, and maintaining databases that support digital services such as web applications.
Big data must be interpreted, safeguarded, and presented in useful ways so that a business’ stakeholders can make decisions based on all the information at hand. Among the responsibilities of an AWS data engineer is the maintenance of data quality and accuracy.
AWS data engineer job market and outlook
Despite some layoffs in the tech world, the demand for AWS data engineers continues to grow as companies look for more and better ways to use the data they collect. While the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics does not break out AWS data engineers, it does predict a huge leap of 36% in the demand for data scientists and a 9% jump in demand for database administrators and architects in the coming decade.
According to Jay Feng, CEO of InterviewQuery, a learning platform for data scientists, data engineering positions are the hottest jobs in tech because companies recognize that data analyses will be skewed without great data.
How much do AWS data engineers earn?
Levels.fyi lists salaries for AWS data engineers at Amazon at the following:
- Level 4: Base salary $108,000 plus stock $22,000 and bonus $13,000 for a total of $143,000
- Level 5: Base salary $134,000 plus stock $47,000 and bonus $9,000 for a total of $190,000
- Level 6: Base salary $145,000 plus stock $110,000 with no bonus for a total of $255,000
How to write an AWS data engineer resume
Structure is your bread and butter, so the notion that your AWS data engineer resume should follow a structure should make building this document easier. Before you dive into the descriptions of your abilities, you need to understand what sections to include. Your CV should contain the following elements:
- The resume header
- The resume summary (aka profile or personal statement)
- The employment history section
- The resume skills section
- The education section
Choosing the best resume format for an AWS data engineer
Your AWS data engineer resume needs to highlight your skills and career accomplishments. Typically, the best model to use is the reverse chronological resume format, like the sample resume below, and we recommend this for a couple of reasons:
- It makes scanning your resume into the ATS easier
- Recruiters will know exactly where to find the information they seek.
If, however, you have a host of technical knowledge you wish to emphasize, opt for a hybrid style that allows for an expanded skills section at the expense of your employment history. This may also be a useful style if you are new to the profession, are a career-changer, or are looking to make a lateral move that requires many IT skills.
Resume summary example
Although the summary, or profile, may not be the first section a recruiter scans, it may very well be the deciding factor in whether or not you get the interview, which is, of course, the idea behind your AWS data engineer resume.
Use this paragraph (the only one with complete sentences in your application document) to explain what you will bring to the position. The most important question in the mind of a prospective employer is, “What will this person do to enhance my business?” Tell them by highlighting your greatest achievement, making sure that you personalize this based on what each employer is looking for.
The summary can be the most difficult to write, so if you need more ideas, take a look at these related IT resume examples:
- Systems Analyst resume sample
- Technical Project Manager resume sample
- Computer Science resume sample
- Network Engineer resume sample
- IT Director resume sample
- Software Engineer resume sample
- Film and Video Editor resume sample
- Motion Graphics Artists resume sample
- Network Systems Analyst resume sample
- 3D Animator resume sample
- Web Developer resume sample
- Programmer resume sample
- Data Scientist resume sample
- IT manager resume sample
- Data Analyst resume sample
- IT Project manager resume sample
Employment history sample
Your work history says a lot about your skills, career development, and whether you have what the job takes. Your AWS data engineer resume needs to demonstrate not just your job responsibilities, but how you have performed these duties and the success you have achieved.
Try using the STAR (situation, task, action, result) method to guide the development of each bullet item taking care to illustrate skills required for each different job.
Target each job
What do we mean by “target each job”? Although you are applying for similar AWS data engineer positions, every employer has a different vision of what that means. You may also be applying for roles that include varying levels of seniority. Make sure that when you highlight the successes that illustrate a skill the employer seeks. It’s wonderful if you have excellent data visualization skills, but if that’s not part of the job description, it won’t help you get the interview.
CV skills example
This section of your AWS data engineer resume is a clean listing of your top 5-7 attributes unless you have chosen to go with an expanded skills section. Match your skills to the job listing, trying for a balance of highly technical abilities and the soft skills that make you a good employee.
Remember the ATS algorithms and choose keywords and phrases that will help your ranking.
AWS data engineer resume education example
Most employers seek IT professionals who have at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, data science, or a related field. Your AWS data engineer resume should list all your degrees plus any certifications you have earned that boost your desirability as an IT employee.
You may choose to highlight your certifications in a separate section if you have more than two related to the position you seek. Amazon offers many courses in AWS, so be sure to list any you have completed or are in the process of completing. If you have a master’s degree or higher, you may leave out your high school diploma.
Resume layout and design
Our best advice for your AWS resume design is to keep it clean. While you want to present a memorable image, you want it to be for the right reasons. Employers seek clean, easy-to-read data, so show you can present information cleanly in your layout.
You know your way around formatting, but if you want to get those resumes out there as quickly as possible, consider one of our expertly designed resume templates. All our options are customizable so you can still add a personal touch.
One last tip: Proofread! Yours is a detail-oriented career and you don’t want any errors eliminating you from the running for your dream job.
Key takeaways for an AWS data engineer resume
- AWS data engineers are in high demand and command six-figure salaries.
- Your summary, or profile, section should explain to employers what you can do for them.
- Keep the ATS in mind as you compile your skills section (but don’t neglect those keywords in other areas of your resume).
- Personalize within all sections of your AWS data engineer resume for your best chance at an interview.
- Take advantage of Resume.io’s builder tool to develop a professional resume quickly.