As you begin your search for a Healthcare Social Worker job, you will consider how best to highlight your skills, work experience, and professional personality. Then you’ll be well on your way to a winning Healthcare Social worker resume. And Resume.io is here to help you! Our online resources include more than 350 occupation-specific resume examples with corresponding writing guides.
Read on in this guide to learn how to:
- Organize your resume content with the right structure and format
- Optimize the impact of each essential resume section: summary, employment history, education and skills
- Make a great visual impression with professionally designed and recruiter-approved templates
What does a Healthcare Social Worker do?
During times of ill health, patients may be scared, unsure how to proceed, or just need someone to talk to. Especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, the vital role of Healthcare Social Workers became more apparent than ever. They know how to listen and to point clients and their families to community resources and other sources of information and assistance.
Job opportunities for Healthcare Social Workers cover a wide range of facilities and service sectors. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the following industries in 2021 — each listed with the corresponding annual mean wage — had the highest employment levels for these professionals in the United States.
- General medical and surgical hospitals — $ 71,440
- Individual and family services — $ 50,910
- Home health care services – $ 67,150
- Nursing care facilities (skilled nursing facilities) — $ 55,510
- Outpatient care centers — $ 65,090
How to write a Healthcare Social Worker resume
For anyone apprehensive about where to start, let’s make it easy by outlining the one thing that all properly crafted resumes should have in common, regardless of occupation. That is, the same basic structure of resume components, fitting on a single page:
- Summary (sometimes called profile or personal statement)
- Employment history
Choosing the best resume format for a Healthcare Social Worker
If your Healthcare Social Worker experience has been acquired in employee positions, then there’s no need to deviate from the most commonly used chronological resume format. It’s also preferred by hiring managers for providing the most straightforward overview of your career highlights in the employment history section.
But if you are new to the workforce or to this occupation, or your employment background is quite diverse, take a look at alternative resume formats. Contract work as a consultant, for instance, might lend itself to a functional resume structure or a hybrid (combination) format.
To get some ideas flowing, check out these other resume samples and writing guides in our related social work category.Get inspired by other helpful resumes examples from the same social work sector:
Get inspired by these other resumes examples and writing guides from the same social work category:
- Caregiver resume sample
- Geriatric Social Worker resume sample
- Drug and Alcohol Counselor resume sample
- Case Manager resume sample
- Community Outreach Coordinator resume sample
- Babysitter resume sample
- Nanny resume sample
- Juvenile Counselor resume sample
- Social Worker resume sample
- Youth Service Specialist resume sample
- Medical Social Worker resume sample
This resume component may not take up much space, but high visibility makes it influential. A distinctive header design sets your Healthcare Social Worker application apart from all the rest, especially if it also appears on your similarly branded cover letter document.
Recruiters’ eyes will be drawn to your name and contact information from the start, and again when they are ready to follow up with an interview invitation.
Healthcare Social Worker resume summary example
Now, we’ll move on to the summary of your Healthcare Social Worker resume, near the top … although you may want to write it last. Why would you want to write this important section last?
Because it summarizes the story you are telling in the rest of your resume, it may be beneficial to develop all the details before you commit to the big picture.
Your resume summary (also known as a profile, objective or personal statement) should tell of your greatest achievements as a Medical Social Worker. It should also give a clear idea of your professional style.
Ask yourself the following questions to help you get started:
- Is there a case I handled that had a great resolution?
- Can I point to my case management data to highlight my efficiency?
- Do I specialize in a subcategory of healthcare such as substance abuse treatment?
- What words can I use to describe my professional personality? Am I calm, sensitive, an excellent listener? What do I emphasize and value in my work ethic?
You have three to five sentences here to make your case. Be proud of your accomplishments and let it show here. If there is something you want to say that doesn’t fit here, remember that your healthcare cover letter offers another opportunity.
Below is a Healthcare Social Worker resume example summary you can customize.
Passionate and experienced healthcare social worker with a 10-year track record of providing quality care and support to patients receiving medical treatment. Committed to helping patients navigate through difficult situations and ensuring they receive the care and services necessary. Communicate effectively with other medical staff to optimize productivity and the level of client care that all patients deserve. Skilled in conflict resolution and family counseling.
Employment history sample
Healthcare social worker is a broad category. In this section, you will get to pinpoint any specialties you have, and how your career has developed during your years of experience. Do this by making each bullet point count. Instead of simply listing responsibilities under each job title, use an achievement-focused method and show off your abilities with strong action verbs.
- Conducted discharge planning for a 50-person hospital wing.
- Made follow-up calls to all patients within 48 hours of discharge.
- With input from families, created detailed treatment plans for home health care and communicated them to patients.
- Did discharge planning.
- Called patients to follow up.
- Wrote home health care plans.
The more details and data you can put in your resume work experience section, the better you are highlighting your skills.
Most healthcare social work occurs in hospitals, but you may also have experience in nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, or other medical centers. Make sure you note any in which you have worked. If you have been a clinical social worker or case manager in a different area, list that as well. Many of the skills you have used are transferable to healthcare work.
Remember that your resume should clearly demonstrate your ability to advocate for the needs of clients who are in hospital or healthcare settings. You may also be responsible for performing thorough assessments of clients, as well as your ability to communicate with medical team members to support the needs of your clients. You also must be able to find community and government resources that will improve the lives of their clients. Healthcare social workers also help clients navigate all aspects of healthcare including medical, financial, mental and social services needs. Try to show experience in each of these areas.
Your resume should be personalized for each job listing. This will help you get past the Applicant Tracking System (ATS) that is ranking your resume based on keywords, phrases, and other data, but it will also tell your prospective employer that you have read the job description and truly want that position.
Below is a Healthcare Social Worker employment history resume sample you can modify.
Healthcare Social Worker, Seattle Health Systems, Seattle
July 2015 - May 2022
- Carefully assessed each client’s situation to determine appropriate ways to assist and advocate for them.
- Coordinated access to resources for clients and families, following up to ensure successful outcomes and providing communication support when needed.
- Counseled clients and family members during difficult times and stressful transitions.
- Worked closely with other medical professionals to provide comprehensive and beneficial patient care.
- Established a strong level of trust with patients and family members, sometimes following previous negative healthcare experiences.
- Served as a liaison between family members and hospital workers.
Healthcare Social Worker, Bellevue Hospital, Bellevue
April 2012 - March 2015
- Attained 92% “exceptional” rating in patient satisfaction surveys for providing support to individuals, groups, and families receiving health services.
- Consistently commended for helping clients to access better healthcare and resources.
- Promoted and fostered helpful coping skills to serve clients as they navigated health scenarios.
Healthcare Social Worker resume education example
Most healthcare social worker jobs require an MSW (master of social work) degree, however, there are some cases where a bachelor’s degree in social work is adequate.
List all degrees and certifications here. Any honors or distinctions should be noted here as well. If you hold a degree higher than a bachelor's degree, you may leave out your high school. You can list certifications here, or create a separate section highlighting them.
Below is the education section from our Healthcare Social Worker example.
Boston University, Master of Social Work Boston, MA
Boston College, Bachelor of Social Work Boston, MA
CV skills example
This at-a-glance section not only tells recruiters whether you have the skills they seek, but also gives them an idea of which skills you believe are most important for the job.
We suggest creating a master list that you can refer to and add to as your skills grow. Consider all the specific skills and knowledge you need in your job. For example, you must have a deep understanding of the NASW Code of Ethics, human behavior, sociology, and psychosocial assessments. You also need knowledge of social welfare policy, community resources and programs. These are your hard skills. Your ability to communicate with clients, medical staff and other members of the care team; be organized and efficient; and solve problems are your soft skills.
Choose the skills that best match the job description. Aim for a mix of hard and soft skills. Try to include high-level skills that may distinguish you from other candidates.
Check out a Healthcare Social Worker CV sample for the skills section below
- NASW Code of Ethics
- Mental Health Assessments
- Medical Knowledge
- Detail Oriented
- Crisis Intervention
- Time Management Skills
- Social Welfare Policy
Resume layout and design
Your Healthcare Social Worker resume layout should convey the same image as your summary: accomplished and professional. To do that, you should keep your design clean and legible. Make sure your contact information, job titles, and section headings are easy for hiring managers to find. Do not put personal data in headers or footers because some ATS software will not read those correctly.
Key takeaways for a Healthcare Social Worker resume
- Diverse job opportunities for Healthcare Social Workers make it essential to have a top-notch resume, customized to each position and employer.
- Gain a competitive edge by ensuring your resume effectively captures the gamut of your qualifications, as well as your professional personality.
- Your employment history listings should be expressed as measurable accomplishments, incorporating specific description details and data that align with the prospective employer’s needs and expectations.
- When highlighting your most relevant hard and soft skills, strive to use keywords that match the listed job description, improving your chances of passing through the ATS filter.
- Your resume should look the part of an accomplished professional who cares. Save time and hassle by leaving the layout and design details up to Resume.io, using our online resume builder and a field-tested template.
You’ve already gotten a jumpstart. You’re ready to go out there and secure your next job as a Healthcare Social Worker!