AI engineers are in the hot seat these days as technology expands and people’s dreams and fears expand with them. Because of the rapid growth of the field, AI engineers have a glut of opportunities. But they still need an AI engineer resume that sounds better than a chatbot.
AI engineers know that technology can make life easier, so when it’s time to spruce up your job application package (or start completely afresh), look for online resources such as those from Resume.io. We offer resume guides and resume examples for 350+ professions, backed up by an easy-to-use resume builder that includes AI suggestions.
That assistance, along with the hints and ideas below will help your resume stand out from the crowd. This resume guide, which includes a complete AI engineer resume example, encompasses the following topics:
- What does an AI engineer do?
- Ideas for compiling an AI engineer resume
- Choosing the best format for an AI engineer resume
- Methods for making the most of your summary, work history, skills, and education sections)
- Professional resume layout and design hints
What does an AI engineer do?
Artificial intelligence (AI) is a method of teaching machines to think and learn as humans do. AI is already part of many aspects of everyday life including chatbots common to many websites and virtual assistants such as Siri and Alexa. AI has been incorporated into many industries such as banking, healthcare, travel, e-commerce, social media, and any other business that offers online services or wants to make predictions about what its customers need or want.
AI engineers develop the intelligent algorithms that make all these systems learn, analyze, and make predictions. AI engineers may specialize in many different areas. These include:
- Machine learning
- Language processing and speech recognition
- Deep learning
- Cognitive computing
- Predictive APIs
- Image recognition
AI engineer job market and outlook
As we mentioned above, the AI market is exploding. That’s great news for you. In fact, a data analysis by 365 Data Science found that there will be a 40% job growth in AI and machine learning (ML) through 2027.
Following the laws of supply and demand, the need for AI engineers elevates salaries. The median pay for all data scientists is in the low six figures. Comparably reports an average AI engineer base salary of $135,000.
How to write an AI engineer resume
If you asked ChapGPT to write an outline for an AI engineer resume, it would reply that the following elements are necessary:
- The resume header
- The resume summary (aka profile or personal statement)
- The employment history section
- The resume skills section
- The education section
These sections form the structure of your resume, but the details are up to you.
Choosing the best resume format for an AI engineer
The next step in creating your AI engineer resume is the format. Typically, we recommend reverse chronological order because Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) are set up to import data in this format and recruiters are used to it.
However, if you have an abundance of highly technical skills, you may consider either a hybrid format that allows you to emphasize your skills over your work history or even a functional resume style that uses the bulk of space to enumerate your data and computer skills.
Now let’s get into the content of each section.
The header of your AI resume serves two key functions:
- It tells the recruiter how to reach you
- It allows you to create a memorable visual impression
Your header should include not just your name and best email and phone number, but also any professional social media accounts and a link to the portfolio of your relevant work.
Resume summary example
You might think it’s a great idea to have AI write the summary of your AI engineer resume to show off your skills, but you wouldn’t be the only one. The key to an enticing resume is personalization and AI is not yet up to that task.
Instead, use this section to highlight your philosophy of AI and how you approach each problem you are trying to solve. Add a sentence on your proudest achievement and conclude by explaining to your prospective employer what you will bring to the AI team that will get their computer systems thinking at a higher level.
Deep knowledge of machine learning algorithms, statistical modeling and data structures. Proficient in various industry-standard programming languages along with expertise in AI libraries and frameworks. Strong background designing and developing AI models. Versed in data governance, privacy, and security best practices.
Because this is the only prose section of your resume, you may want more inspiration than the summary example below. If so, check out these related IT resume samples:
- Systems analyst resume sample
- Technical project manager resume sample
- Computer science resume sample
- Network engineer resume sample
- IT director resume sample
- Software engineer resume sample
- Film and video editor resume sample
- Motion graphics artists resume sample
- Network systems analyst resume sample
- 3D animator resume sample
- Software developer resume sample
- Web developer resume sample
- Programmer resume sample
- IT manager resume sample
- IT project manager resume sample
- Data analyst resume sample
- Information technology resume sample
- Scrum master resume sample
- Senior software engineer resume sample
- System administrator resume sample
- IT specialist resume sample
- Cyber security resume sample
- Data engineer resume sample
Employment history sample
In a reverse chronological AI engineer resume, the employment history section consumes the most space. It is here that you detail your career successes. Consider this section the proof of the assertions you made in your summary (and those you’ll make in your cover letter).
Simply listing your job responsibilities is not enough. Instead, focus on your increased knowledge of AI and how you have applied it to the benefit of your employer. You have to pack a lot of information into bulleted items, so be concise. Start with a strong action word and follow it with data and details that strengthen your point. Choose examples that relate directly to what each individual employer wants.
Strong words to get you started
See our resume sample:
Machine Learning Software Engineer at Siemens, Alpharetta, GA
March 2018 - Present
- Design machine learning applications in sensor perception and sensor data fusion.
- Resolve complex issues pertaining to sensor-modeling, scenario-driven development and corner cases identification.
- Coordinate simulation-based generation of training and validation data.
- Consistently deliver high quality software within an Agile/Scrum environment.
Machine Learning Engineer at Intel, Remote
February 2014 - March 2018
- Delivered key contributions to various projects entailing development of advanced algorithms and applications of machine learning.
- Liaised extensively with multidisciplinary teams to identify, analyze and resolve complex tasks involving industrial application of advanced machine learning.
Data Science Intern at ATN International, Atlanta, GA
June 2013 - December 2013
- Assisted with research into state-of-the-art data science concepts.
- Identified and contributed to resolution of technology gaps by designing and coding prototypes.
CV skills example
The skills section of your AI engineer resume may seem like a mere listing of computer skills, but it sends a powerful message to recruiters. This is your opportunity to show them that you want this job. You can easily do that by differentiating.
Go about this by analyzing the job listing and choosing the skills and attributes mentioned within. This not only shows the recruiter that you have what they seek, but it tells them that you are targeting the specific job they are hiring for and not just any AI engineer job. As you probably know, this will also help your ranking with the ATS algorithm and get your resume into the hands of a human being.
Although you have a long list of hard skills, don’t neglect soft skills such as communication and grace under pressure.
- AI / ML Technology
- Cognitive Computing
- Image Recognition
- Deep Learning
- Amazon AWS
- AI Libraries & Frameworks
- Statistical Modeling
- Robotics Google Cloud Platform
- Requirements Analysis
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- AI Regulations & Ethics
AI engineer resume education example
Most AI engineers hold at least bachelor’s degrees in computer science, data science, mathematics, or a related field. Many go on to earn master’s degrees and some have doctorates. The education section of your AI engineer resume is a listing of all your degrees.
Many IT professionals also complete certifications in different specializations. If you have more than a couple of certificates, highlighting them in a separate section will serve you well if you have the space to spare. Otherwise, you may list them within this section.
See our resume sample:
Master of Science in Machine Learning, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- 4.0 GPA | Honors
Graduate Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT), Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA
- 3.8 GPA | Dean's List
Resume layout and design
While you want to create a memorable first impression with your AI resume design, you also want to keep your document looking professional and legible. It may be tempting to use a background of complex algorithms or formulas, but that will detract from the content.
Your name should be in the largest font on the page, followed by your section headings. Choose two – or at the most three – easy-to-read font styles and vary your line lengths to leave ample white space. Big blocks of type make your page look too busy and dense.
Finally, use color judiciously. Start with one of our expertly designed resume templates to give you a head start on reaching your goal of getting those applications out there.
Key takeaways for an AI engineer resume
- The field of artificial intelligence is exploding – and that creates plenty of opportunities for finding the job of your dreams.
- While AI can help you develop your resume, don’t rely on it because your voice is unique.
- No matter which format you choose, make sure you personalize your AI resume to target each prospective employer’s needs and wants.
- Avoid the temptation to create a busy design: Your priority is legibility and professionalism.