A marketing consultant resume does what your best run campaigns do: it generates intrigue and gets your target audience to give your product a try. Your clients come to you to help them create this effect, so your resume needs to show off your abilities.
While you may be an expert at marketing products and services, your job search is another matter. Resume.io offers a full range of resources for any job seeker, including writing guides and resume examples for 300+ professions.
This resume guide, along with the corresponding marketing consultant resume example will cover the following topics:
- What do marketing consultants do?
- How to write a marketing consultant resume (tips and tricks)
- The best format for a marketing consultant resume
- Advice on each section of your resume (summary, work history, education, skills)
- Professional resume layout and design hints.
What does a marketing consultant do?
Marketing consultants are people who work with clients to develop and implement effective marketing strategies to improve business for clients and companies. They utilize strong commercial awareness to develop excellent marketing strategies and improve client relationships.
Marketing consultants need to jump into new situations quickly and develop an understanding of the needs and goals of clients. They implement changes to achieve sales growth and an increase of market infiltration. Marketing consultants seek to retain customers and attract new ones for their clients by improving advertising and brand penetration.
What are the key responsibilities for a marketing consultant?
Marketing consultants work to improve operations, profitability, management, structure and strategy in a firm, Totempool, a marketing career platform says.
Marketing consultant job market and outlook
Marketing consultants careers may overlap with other job categories. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics does not track this category separately, but predicts advertising, promotions and marketing management will see a 6% uptick, while marketing research analysts are in for a booming 18% increase in jobs over the period from 2019-2029. Marketing consultants with digital expertise will be in especially high demand.
Marketing consultants just starting out can expect to earn about $41,000, Payscale.com reports. By mid-career, that rises to $73,000 and consultants with more than 20 years experience may earn $81,000.
If you’re looking for brands that may need a marketing consultant, these are some good times to check in, according to marketing agency Viacon:
- During times of expansion
- If the company needs to streamline
- When a business wants to rebrand
- When it needs help using data to improve operations
How to write a marketing consultant resume
The elements of your resume are your key to success. Here are the sections your marketing consultant CV should include:
- The resume header
- The resume summary (aka profile or personal statement)
- The employment history section
- The resume skills section
- The education section
You know that when you are branding a product or service, you need to know your audience so you can direct the message to them. Do the same during your job search. Find out everything you can about the product or service, the company philosophy and how the organization works. Then use that knowledge to target the hiring manager and your prospective boss.
Maximize language for the ATS
Especially if you are digitally savvy, you know that algorithms make many preliminary decisions. When you apply online, your marketing consultant resume will be screened and scanned by an Applicant Tracking System before hiring managers see your brilliant campaigns.
Optimize by using keywords and phrases within the job listing to give you a better chance to avoid being filtered out by the ATS. That means, personalizing each resume sample to target the individual job.
Choosing the best resume format for a marketing consultant
Our go-to resume format is reverse chronological order because recruiters prefer it and most ATS software is designed to scan that way. However, if you are new to the job market, are a career-changer or are a well-seasoned professional, you may want to consider the hybrid resume format which begins with an "Experience" or "Skills" section followed by a shorter employment history section.
We don’t recommend using a functional resume format since it is mostly reserved for highly technical or scientific careers where a professional wants to emphasize niche skills over experience.
Resume summary example: your brand campaign
How do you brand yourself? Consider the summary section of your marketing consultant resume as your best chance to use your copywriting skills to market yourself. It is only here that you get a little creative room, so use it to your advantage. Use a sentence to introduce yourself and your career. Then, take another sentence or two to impress with your best marketing success. Finally, wrap it up with a sentence that shows you understand just what the company needs and explain how you are going to provide it.
Looking for more inspiration? Head over to our marketing resume samples. There you can see:
- Digital Marketing Manager resume sample
- Marketing Manager resume sample
- Social Media Manager resume sample
- Marketing Associate resume sample
- Art Director resume sample
- Digital Marketing resume sample
- Event Planner resume sample
- Content Writer resume sample
- Magazine Editor resume sample
- Blog Writer resume sample
- Content Marketing Associate resume sample
- Advertising Director resume sample
- Content Acquisitions Director resume sample
- Creative Director resume sample
- Marketing resume sample
- Brand Ambassador resume sample
- Brand Manager resume sample
- Public Relations resume sample
- SEO resume sample
- Marketing Coordinator resume sample .
You can find a resume sample for your summary section below.
Innovative marketing consultant with several years of experience providing strategic and practical advice to achieve company marketing efforts. Adept in assessing the needs and desires of target audiences and identifying effective strategies to reach them. Bringing forth valuable industry experience and the expertise necessary to increase company visibility and gain customers. Equipped with knowledge of marketing principles and best practices and a commitment to helping clients achieve goals.
Employment history CV sample: inbound marketing
While the employment history section of your marketing consultant CV is a bulleted list, don’t relax here. Use strong action language to describe your successful marketing campaign and other business activities.
Generate leads that feel compelled to follow up with you by shining a light on your achievements. Remember that smart content applies to your job hunt as well. Target your prospective employer with examples that directly address their needs.
Data-driven results and the details of your actions and the problems you solved will strengthen your bullet items.
You can find a resume example for your employment history section below.
- Prepared individualized proposals and marketing plans.
- Advised clients regarding branding, communication techniques, and other marketing tools.
- Generated leads and developed ideas to maximize client retention.
- Designed effective marketing materials including logos and newsletters.
- Consistently helped companies to achieve higher levels of market infiltration.
- Delivered quarterly reports with itemized ideas for improvement and progression.
Marketing consultant resume skills example: SEO
Your skills section is the easiest one to optimize for the ATS . It’s a little like SEO in that you want to get those keywords in wherever you can. Choose the skills you believe are most important for the job and match them to those your prospective employer needs.
If you’re an expert in a specific industry or with marketing automation, make sure you list that here (and expand on that in either your summary or employment history sections.) Remember to add soft skills such as leadership, empathy or organization.
Below you will find an adaptable skills resume example.
- Marketing Strategies and Tools
- Strong Analytical Thinking Skills
- Competitive Analysis
- Team Building Skills
- Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Managing Budgets
Marketing consultant education resume example
The education section is simply a list of your academic degrees. Most marketing consulting jobs require at least a bachelor’s degree in a related field such as marketing, communications or business. Your high school experience is unnecessary if you hold a degree higher than a bachelor's degree. No need to include your GPA unless you are fresh out of school and it is at least a 3.5.
If you have a shelf full of marketing awards and/or are active in professional organizations, you may want to create a separate section called Awards and Affiliations to attract more attention to your recognition and networking efforts.
Below you will find an education resume example as a formatting guide.
- 2004-2008 Washington State University, B.A. Of Communications Pullman, WA
- 2008- 2010 Wake Forest University, M.B.A Winston-Salem, NC
Resume layout and design: make it complementary
Once you lose a lead, it’s almost impossible to get it back, so make a great first visual impression. You may be tempted to go all out on the design of your marketing consultant resume to show off your visual acumen, but try to scale it back.
The design of your resume should complement the message behind it. Remember that the goal is for recruiters to be able to read about all your accomplishments. That means eye-catching, but neat and legible. Too much graphic design detracts from your message.
The header of your marketing consultant resume says a lot about your personal style and professional image. Make sure to get this section right, not only in terms of the appropriate contact information, but also in the page design. A resume template can help you get a head start.
Key takeaways for a marketing consultant resume
- Your marketing skills will come in handy when you begin your job search.
- Marketing professionals, especially those with digital skills are in high demand.
- Target your message to your prospective employer and insert keywords and phrases that will boost your ranking with the ATS.
- Check out our marketing consultant resume sample for more ideas on how to format a professional-looking resume.