With the increase in online ordering, curbside pickup, and personalized grocery shopping, the demand for order fillers has likewise increased. If this is a job change opportunity you’re keen to pursue, feel confident of success with an exceptional order filler resume.
Resume.io is here to help with tips and tools for distinguishing yourself from other job applicants. Our resources include more than 350 occupation-specific resume examples and writing guides. One of them is the guide you’re looking at now, designed for order fillers. In it, we offer hints and writing strategies, illustrated with a corresponding order filler resume example. Here’s what we’ll discuss:
- What order fillers do
- How to write an order filler resume, starting with the basic framework and most suitable format
- Optimizing what each resume section delivers: header, profile, employment history, education and skills
- Finishing touches for package appeal — resume layout, design and formatting.
Let’s get you on the path to filling that order for a new job!
What does an order filler do?
Order fillers are people who work to prepare and fulfill orders. They typically work in distribution centers, warehouses, or production facilities, but may also work to fill customer orders in any store that offers pick-up service.
Becoming an order filler may be great full-time entry into a company that has room for advancement, especially if you are a fast learner. It could also be a great part-time job or a good way to gain job skills. You must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, but still pay careful attention to detail. After all, this is truly a customer service job and receiving a wrong or incomplete order is a sure way to upset a customer.
How to write an order filler resume
This is the orderly aspect of resume writing — understanding how to package your resume information. Applying the basic structure that virtually all resumes have in common allows you to break down the task into steps. These are the essential components for your order filler resume:
- Employment history
Later on, we’ll delve into the strategy for composing each individual section.
Choosing the best resume format for an order filler
The chronological resume format is recommended for almost all job seekers with work experience as an employee, and is likely suitable for order fillers too. It provides an easy-to-follow overview of job highlights for each place of employment, in order from most recent to earliest dates.
For someone who is new to the workforce or changing careers, the functional resume format, emphasizing transferable skills, might be worth considering. A third option is the hybrid (combination) resume format, with both chronological and functional elements.
A distinctive resume header acts as a personal brand that sets your job application apart from the rest. And with very little extra effort, the impact is strengthened if your cover letter and resume documents are a matching pair, with identical headers.
But don’t underestimate the functional importance of an eye-pleasing header, which is much more than a decorative embellishment. The prominence of your identifying information — name, occupation, phone number and email — will be noticed first by hiring managers, and easy for them to retrieve later when ready to contact you for an interview.
Order filler resume profile example
What is the purpose of a resume profile (sometimes called a summary or a personal statement )?
Of course, you will be summarizing your work experience, but your profile is more than just a summary. It’s your chance to tell hiring managers why you are a good fit for their company. The rest of your resume will focus solely on your job skills. Do you know how to operate a forklift to move pallets? Great! But are you also a hard worker who is looking for an entry-level opportunity in a great workplace? That’s also what your order filler resume profile should convey.
Think about your greatest work achievements. If you are looking for your first job, or first job as an order filler, make a list of the skills and attributes you already have that would make you an asset to the position you seek. If you have experience in the field, talk up your biggest achievements. Use strong descriptive words to incorporate them into this paragraph of three to five sentences. Don’t worry if you don’t have enough room. You can add more information in your cover letter.
Below is sample content for an order filler resume profile.
Conscientious and reliable Order Filler with 17 years of experience in fast-paced retail and wholesale settings. Meticulous attention to detail and excellent organizational skills. Adept in accurately reading order requirements and fulfilling them in a time-efficient way. A fast learner with a great work ethic, who works well independently or cooperatively with others.
Writing a resume profile for order filler can be tough. For more inspiration, take a look at these other transport and logistics resume examples:
- Transport & logistics resume sample
- Warehouse worker resume sample
- Warehouse manager resume sample
- Warehouse supervisor resume sample
- Logistics coordinator resume sample
- Stock clerk resume sample
- Delivery driver resume sample
- Package handler resume sample
- Truck driver resume sample
- Tractor driver resume sample
- Supply chain resume sample
Employment history sample
The employment history section of your order filler resume is a detailed accounting of your work experience. You want to show recruiters that you can learn and grow on the job, or that you have skills from other areas that will make you a great customer-oriented warehouse worker. Use each bullet item to describe a different achievement, duty or area of specialization. Try to show a progression of increasing knowledge and responsibility.
Consider each job listing as you apply. A person who works at a Walmart or other big box store fulfillment center will need some different skills from a person who works in a manufacturer’s warehouse. Amazon warehouse operations are fast-paced environments, but other order filler jobs may require you to handle fragile items that require you to go slow and easy.
Focus the descriptions under each job title based on the skills and attributes your potential employer wants. That means you will have to customize your resume for each target position. Few people realize this, but it’s one of the biggest factors in job application success. This custom-tailored approach has two benefits:
- It tells employers that you are applying specifically for their job opening, determined, and conscious of your goals. You are not just mindlessly spamming dozens of employers with a copy-paste document.
- It will help you get past automatic tracking systems ( ATS ) that many employers use to scan resumes for information such as keywords and phrases. The ATS uses algorithms to rank your resume based on the job description requirements. Low ranking resumes will get tossed before a hiring manager even sees them.
Always be as detailed as you can without bloating your resume — always keep it to one page. Instead of saying that you have experience handling equipment, specify what kind of equipment. Have you used an RF scanner, even if it was in a different job function? Operated pallet jacks? Adhered to OSHA safety standards? Say that instead and use strong action verbs to describe how you performed those tasks.
See the employment history content from our order filler resume example below:
Order Filler at JBC Productions, Dallas
June 2016 - May 2022
- Maintained a neat and orderly workspace to successfully complete orders, faster on average than my colleagues.
- Paid close attention to details to ensure accuracy, reducing overall customer return rate from 9% to 1%.
- Proposed and implemented log sheet improvements that all staff found easier to record and view fulfilled orders.
- Neatly and efficiently packed orders to ensure optimal customer service.
- Reported issues with products or packaging defects to supervisors.
- Gathered packing materials prior to production each day, eliminating the need to restock any items during shifts.
Order Filler at Arielle's Fabrics, Dallas
September 2013 - May 2016
- Worked to maintain an organized work area suitable for efficient packaging.
- Maintained inventory of packaging materials and brought order items in.
- Maintained and handed in log sheets for accountability and accuracy.
- Worked independently and also in collaboration with other employees.
- Assisted supervisors and employees with daily tasks related to order fulfillment.
Shop Assistant at Arielle's Fabrics, Dallas
June 2005 - April 2013
- Assisted the shop head with all daily tasks to increase productivity and achieve or exceed customer service goals.
- Ordered fabrics and organized them neatly in our stock room.
- Assisted customers with choosing items and purchasing transactions.
Order filler resume education example
Your only educational requirement to become an order filler is a high school diploma or GED. If you have earned a college degree or completed vocational training, definitely list it here in the education section. It shows you are determined and have the knowledge to advance in your career. If you are working toward an associate’s or bachelor’s degree, list your expected graduation date and the degree you are working toward.
Below is a resume education example for an order filler.
High School Diploma, Dallas High School, Dallas
September 2001 - May 2005
CV skills example
The skills list on your order filler CV offers a quick snapshot of the talents you bring to the job. Whether you have already begun your career or are new to the workforce, you have skills that will make you a valuable employee.
A great way to choose the best skills list possible is to break down all the tasks and qualities necessary to be good at your job. From that, create a master list you can use to pick the best mix for each position. Brainstorm every possible skill you might have, write it all out in a separate document and cherry-pick the best ones based on the advertised job requirements.
You can keep this master list updated for future jobs as well, giving you a great overview of how your skills have grown over the years.
Skills generally fit into two categories. “ Soft ” refers to the general skills necessary to be a good employee, such as communication and time management . Hard skills are those acquired on the job for specific tasks, such as the ability to manipulate hand trucks and other machinery, or to follow safety procedures.
Remember to refresh the skills listed in your resume for each job you apply to. We recommend that you take the time to read the job description carefully and find out what skills are considered most valuable for an order filler. To be considered a strong candidate, you must present yourself as a hardworking and physically able person with a list of impressive relevant skills.
Check out the skills section from our order filler resume example below.
- Organizational Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Ability to Work Under Pressure
- Logical Thinking
- Positive Work Ethic
Resume layout, design and formatting
Understandably, you have focused on your job experience and skills as you put your resume together. Now, you need to think about the presentation. You don’t want your resume to make it past the ATS, only to be eliminated by a hiring manager who is turned off by an unattractive design or disorganized layout.
Use a dedicated resume builder tool, such as Resume.io’s, to avoid that problem and ensure your resume document looks professional and easy to read. Together with one of our field-tested resume templates, this takes the guesswork out of layout and design. Start by browsing our simple or modern layout templates for a style that suits an order filler resume.
Key takeaways for an order filler resume
- An outstanding order filler resume can help you land the best jobs at a time when the demand for your skills is high.
- Pay close attention to the advertised job requirements to identify keywords that can help you avoid rejection by ATS.
- It’s crucial to custom-tailor all sections of your resume to match the specific job and employer requirements.
- Using an expert-designed resume template with our builder tool will ensure your resume is “dressed for success.”
You’ve created a great package to show off your skills. Now you’re ready to grab that next job!